RaRa's Guide to Sustainable Christmas Gifting November 21 2015, 0 Comments
We say the same thing to ourselves every year around this time; start thinking about Christmas shopping, don't leave it until the last minute again! It's a lot easier to say than to do though, so this year we've decided to put together a little guide to ethical (and prepared!) Christmas shopping to help us all avoid the curse of last minute, last resort shopping centre trips.
This year we are trying to cut down on the amount of wasteful wrapping paper we use, and we think you should give it a go too!
Every year in the U.S, the annual trash from gift-wrapping and Christmas shopping bags totals 4 million tons and an estimated 2.6 billion holiday cards are sold each year, which is enough to fill a football field 10 stories high. So here are a few little tips to help you stay sustainable this holiday season!
- If we each sent one less card, we'd save 50,000 cubic yards of paper. Buy recycled cards, send electronic cards or try to incorporate my family's tradition of 'verbal cards' (just call a person to wish them happy holidays!) instead.
- If every family reused just two feet of holiday ribbon, the 38,000 miles of ribbon saved could tie a bow around the entire planet. Save that ribbon for birthday gifts or next Christmas!
- At least 28 billion pounds of edible food are wasted each year - equating to over 100 pounds per person. That's so crazy! There are always going to be leftovers after Christmas, always, but don't throw them away. Freeze them for another time or give them to someone in need.
- Half of the paper America consumes is used to wrap and decorate consumer products.
SO LETS ADDRESS THAT LAST POINT... WITH CRAFT!
This year we have decided to DIY fun and personalised gift boxes that are still functional ad useful once Christmas is over! Lets cut down landfill one crafternoon at a time!
Here are a few different idea's!
HERE'S WHERE WE COME IN! With super cute things to fill those gift boxes with!
3. Vintage Boots and Shoes
7. Vintage Patches
9. Done By Daisy Clay Keyring
10. Done By Daisy Sparkle Clay Studs
2. Ra Ra Shorts
4. Ra Ra Notebooks
9. Spirit-fire Designs Leather Watermelon Earrings
3. Gnome Statue
7. Vintage Pillow Cases
1. Cute Headscarves or Bandanas
2. Vintage 50's Swimwear
3. Vintage 50's Swimwear