Australia Day Pineapple Passionfruit Treat
Hello Hello Ra Ra Readers!
If you are looking to inject some retro, sugar laced deliciousness into your Australia Day partying this Saturday, read ahead, we have the perfect patriotic themed slice for you!
½ cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup self-raising flour
440g can crushed pineapple, drained, juice reserved
¼ cup custard powder
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup cornflour
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 cup passionfruit pulp
green and yellow pineapple shaped lollies
1. Preheat oven to moderate, 180C. Lightly grease a 20 x 30cm slice pan. Line base and two long sides with baking paper.
2. In a small bowl, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Fold in sifted flour. Spread mixture into prepared pan. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool in pan.
3. Custard filling. In a small saucepan, combine pineapple juice and custard powder until smooth. Stir over medium heat until boiling. Add pineapple. Simmer for 4-5 minutes until thick. Spread over cooled cake. Chill until firm.
4. Topping. In a small saucepan, combine milk, cornflour, sugar and passionfruit pulp until smooth. Stir over low heat for 3-5 minutes until boiling and thickened. Cool.
5. Spread over chilled custard.Chill until firm. Cut into pieces and place a pineapple lolly in the centre of each piece. Store chilled in an airtight container.