Here's a lovely, traditional Christmas treat we all know and love. The smell of this recipe baking will have your home smelling like a gingerbread house! They're fun to decorate and make a delicious gifts for friends and work buddies.
What you'll need
- Melted butter, to grease
- 125g butter, at room temperature
- 100g (1/2 cup, firmly packed) brown sugar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) golden syrup
- 1 egg, separated
- 375g (2 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 1 tbs ground ginger
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Plain flour, to dust
What to do
- Preheat your oven to 180°C. Brush 2 baking trays with melted butter.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the golden syrup and egg yolk and beat until combined. Stir in the flour, ginger, mixed spice and bicarbonate of soda. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Press dough into a disc. Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 30 minutes to rest.
- Place the dough between 2 sheets of baking paper and roll out until about 4mm thick. Use a 9cm gingerbread man cutter to cut out shapes. Place on trays about 3cm apart. Repeat with any excess dough.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes or until brown. Remove from oven. Transfer to a rack to cool.
- Decorate at your leisure! I recommend creating mini versions of your friends and family.