Upside Down Pineapple Love
Upside down pineapple cake always brings back wonderful childhood memories. The Golden Circle tin....drinking the leftover pineapple juice. It's simple and comforting. I love it with a cup of tea, on the deck, in the morning sun.
It's such a gooood cake it even featured in a hilarious episode of 'Desperate Housewives". In the words of Gaby... ' a perfect Upside Down Pineapple Cake...if only trust were so easy to make!'
- 440g can pineapple thins in natural juice, drained
- 125g butter, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/4 cups self-raising flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup plain flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 22cm round (base) cake pan. Line base and side with baking paper.
- Pat pineapple dry with paper towel. Arrange pineapple in pan. Using an electric mixer, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add flours and milk. Stir to combine. Spoon mixture over pineapple. Smooth top.
- Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean (cover loosely with foil if over-browning during cooking). Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack. Serve.
Now sit down, eat a slice of cake and relax!